Muskingum Valley Council
National Youth Leadership Training
August 4th – 9th 2019, at MVSR
Room for only 48 Participants!
Course Director: Bill Shriver
- Each participant must be 14 years old or 13 years old and have completed 8th grade.
- Be a First Class Scout or registered Venture Scout by August 4th, 2019.
- For 2019 only, an exception will be granted for girls registered in Scouts BSA to attend NYLT without first achieving the First Class rank; they must still meet age requirements and first attend Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops (ILST.) This will allow new troops to have trained youth leaders. Girls who are registered Venturers do not need to achieve the First Class rank, but must attend Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews (ILSC) prior to participating in NYLT.
- Cost is $175, including a $50 deposit submitted with application.
- The Unit Leader must first approve the Scout’s application.
- Give you the confidence and knowledge to conduct a youth‐run program
- Train you in all aspects of effective leadership, from teaching skills to motivating an organization
- Guide you through the stages of team development
- Give you the opportunity to share ideas and experiences with youth from other units.
- Enhance the relationship between you and adults.
- Create an environment of Scouting fellowship and fun guided by the Scout Oath and Law
- Experience Scouting at its best!
- Vision—Goals—Planning: Creating a positive future success
- SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely
- Planning and Problem‐solving Tool: What, How, When, Who
- SSC Assessment Tool: Start, Stop, Continue
- Teaching EDGE: Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable
- Stages of Team Development: Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing
- Leading EDGE: Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable
- Conflict Resolution Tool: EAR – Express, Address, Resolve
- Making Ethical Decisions: Right vs. Wrong, Right vs. Right, Trivial
- Communication: MaSeR – Message, Sender, Receiver
- Valuing People: ROPE – Reach out, Organize, Practice, Experience